OSMOSUN® RANGE SPECIFICITIES
OSMOSUN®, the world’s first reverse osmosis desalination solution using only solar energy, offers two key advantages for water stressed regions :
REDUCED ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT
- No CO2 emission in production
- Low salinity of the concentrate
STRONG ECONOMIC COMPETITIVENESS
- Thanks to the lowest OPEX on the market
- In spite of a CAPEX higher than conventional units mostly due to the solar panel
TDS seawater: 32 to 45 g/liter
TDS concentrate: 45 to 50 g/liter
TDS permeate: < 0,5 g/liter
Brackish water characteristics
TDS brackish water: 5 to 25 g/liter
TDS concentrate: depend of the water analysis
TDS permeate: < 0,5 g/liter
Every desalination need is specific to its environment; Mascara Renewable Water offers turnkey OSMOSUN® solar desalination installation as well as Plug and Play OSMOSUN® units to insert in a prepared environment.
The criteria when considering whether or not to customize OSMOSUN® units are multiple:
- Potential pre-treatment depending on the raw water supply
- Telemaintenance and monitoring of the OSMOSUN® unit
- Post-treatment by re-mineralization (by calcification) and/or chlorination (by solar electrolysis) of the permeates
- Containerization for transportation and/or permanent implementation
The OSMOSUN® desalination units are flexible and modular. Thus, to generate energy outside the hours of sunshine and produce up to three times the solar daily capacity if necessary, (24hours per day instead of 8 hours), it is possible to connect the desalination units to an alternative source of energy.
When the source of electricity, network or generator is above 0.15 € / kWh, the OSMOSUN® desalination unit is more competitive than a conventional desalination unit.
The OSMOSUN® 10 unit thus produces 30m3 of water per day instead of the 10m3 of water with just the solar energy, or the OSMOSUN® 300 unit produces up to 900m3 of water per day.
OSMOLOAD: the desalination unit increases the penetration of solar or wind energy
The possibility of alternative currents (AC) coupling on a network combined with the total flexibility of the process developed by Mascara allows, at any time, the instantaneous total or partial shedding or unloading of OSMOSUN® units.
With OSMOLOAD, the OSMOSUN® desalination unit becomes a variable load regulating the electrical network:
Load-shedding in whole or in part : The OSMOSUN® adjusts to the power available on the grid
CONVERSION INTO OSMOSUN® TECHNOLOGY
Mascara Renewable Water’s expertise enables the conversion of conventional desalination units into OSMOSUN® solar powered desalination units, producing 30 to 40% of its daily production using just solar energy. Mascara’s engineers are the first ones in the world offering this process optimization to dramatically reduce the cost of water.
The competitiveness of OSMOSUN® conversion of conventional desalination units is directly related to energy costs: the higher the energy cost, the better the competitiveness.
The competitiveness of the OSMOSUN® conversion is dependent on three main reasons:
- Most of the existing desalination installation will remain: seawater supply, buildings, prefiltration, membranes, pipes, post-treatment, brine rejection (…). The preliminary study by Mascara Renewable Water’s engineers will determine the necessary tweaks to the existing desalination unit.
- One third of the water production will be powered by affordable solar energy: solar energy is now the cheapest in the world, and is specifically relevant for isolated grids which previously relied on expensive fossil fuel energy sources.
- The specific energy consumption will decrease: the process optimization by Mascara Renewable Water will significantly decrease the energy consumption per m3 produced. OSMOSUN®’s specific energy consumption is among the lowest in the world, with 2,5kWh/m3 with water at 35g/l. The conversion in OSMOSUN® is likely to reduce the energy consumption, especially in the absence of any energy recovery device; the preliminary study will determine the extent of the reduction.
SAVINGS ENABLED BY AN OSMOSUN® CONVERSION
Case of a desalination unit of 300m3/day consuming 4kwh/m3 with a local kwh: USD0.30
- One third of the daily production (100m3) is produced with solar energy,
- Daily solar energy production of 400kwh or USD120 and more than USD40,000 OFF THE ANNUAL ENERGY BILL
Every OSMOSUN® conversion relies on a preliminary study of the current installation’s condition.
MULTIPLE OPTIONS TO IMPLEMENT THE SOLAR PANELS
The specific consumption among the lowest in the world of the OSMOSUN® units, with 2,5kWh/m3 produced with seawater at 35g/l, implies a solar generator of limited surface.
The daily water production capacity depends on the solar generator power: about 0.75kWp, or 5 to 7m² of photovoltaic panels per m3 produced daily.
The surface requested for the generator of a desalination unit installation may vary according to the selected type of solar generator. Mascara offers the following options :
The solar panels we supply have a 25 year warranty, and are specifically designed to hold up against tough seaside marine environments.
The solar generator can be sourced and installed locally. Mascara handles the solar energy management, which enables a flexible functioning of the reverse osmosis desalination unit.
DESIGN YOUR SOLAR DESALINATION PROJECT
OSMOSUN® solar desalination units can fit many water stressed settings with sufficient solar exposure.
We have developed several tools to assist you throughout the steps of implementation of your renewable desalination project, from the dimensioning, to the economic and technical feasibility study, to :
OSMOSUN® PRICE COMPETITIVENESS VS. CONVENTIONAL DESALINATION UNIT
OSMOSUN® is competitive in price when compared to conventional desalination units that use energy recovery devices whenever the price of electricity is above .13€/kWh, which is equivalent to 0.30 € per liter of gas.
In the case of conventional desalination units that are not equipped with energy recovery devices, OSMOSUN® is also more cost effective, from as low as 0.05 € per kWh.
With a cost of kWh of 0.25 € the return on investment period, compared to conventional units, is about 4 years.
*The suggested price of water includes the depreciation of the initial investment, with a discount rate of 7%.