OSMOSUN® RANGE SPECIFICITIES
OSMOSUN®, the world’s first reverse osmosis desalination solution using only solar energy, offers two key advantages for water stressed regions :
REDUCED ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT
- No CO2 emission in production
- Low salinity of the concentrate
STRONG ECONOMIC COMPETITIVENESS
- Thanks to the lowest OPEX on the market
- In spite of a CAPEX higher than conventional units mostly due to the solar panel
SEAWATER SOLAR DESALINATION : OSMOSUN® SW
Range of modular desalination units
The OSMOSUN® desalination units are the world’s first solar-powered units. These 100% autonomous units produce between 1 m3 and 600 m3 of fresh water per day. Modular, OSMOSUN® units adapt to the water needs of the most remote water stressed settings, to desalinate sea water to produce 1 m3 to 10 000 m3 per day of fresh water.
TDS seawater: 35 to 45 g/liter
TDS concentrate: 45 to 50 g/liter
TDS permeate: < 0,5 g/liter
Every desalination need is specific to its environment; Mascara Renewable Water offers turnkey OSMOSUN® solar desalination installation as well as ready to install OSMOSUN® units to implement in a prepared environment.
- The criteria when considering whether or not to customize OSMOSUN® units are multiple:
- Potential pre-treatment depending on the raw water supply
- Remote monitoring and maintenance of the OSMOSUN® unit
- Post-treatment by re-mineralization (by calcification) and/or chlorination (by solar electrolysis) of the permeates
- Containerization for transportation and/or permanent implementation
Hybrid powering of desalination units
The OSMOSUN® desalination units are flexible and modular. Thus, to generate energy outside the hours of sunshine and produce up to three times the solar daily capacity if necessary, (24hours per day instead of 8 hours), it is possible to connect the desalination units to an alternative source of energy.
When the source of electricity, network or generator is above 0.13 € / kWh, the OSMOSUN® desalination unit is more competitive than a conventional desalination unit.
The OSMOSUN® 10 unit thus produces 30 m3 of water per day instead of the 10 m3 of water with just the solar energy, or the OSMOSUN® 300 unit produces up to 900 m3 of water per day.
This additional solar / grid hybrid power capability allows OSMOSUN® to be used as a “virtual battery,” a flexible, low-power load for an increased penetration rate of renewable energy on the grid.
Load-shedding in whole or in part : The OSMOSUN® adjusts to the power available on the grid
BRACKISH WATER SOLAR DESALINATION : OSMOSUN® BW
Range of modular desalination units
Photovoltaic desalination technology by reverse osmosis, without battery, developed by Mascara Renewable Water allows desalination of brackish water, which salinity is lower than seawater, at between 3 and 7 grams of salt / liter of water. This water is generally extracted from aquifers through drilling a borehole. These units dedicated to brackish water produce between 20 m3 and 500 m3 per day of fresh drinking water. Modular, the OSMOSUN® BW units desalinate up to 5,000 m3 per day as a standalone, off grid installation.
Brackish water characteristics
TDS brackish water: 5 to 7 g/liter
TDS concentrate: depend of the water analysis
TDS permeate: < 0,5 g/liter
This unique technology has been designed for isolated areas, with a concern for maximum simplicity, and autonomy provided only by the affordable solar energy available anywhere. The characteristics of desalination units OSMOSUN®BW simplify the construction of a project with a good adaptation to the needs of remote areas:
- Very low specific consumption
- Desalination by solar energy is very respectful of the environment by the absence of CO2 emission
- A conversion rate of 75%, equivalent to 75 liters of fresh water per 100 liters of water pumped.
- Maintenance design and monitoring: OSMOSUN® units, fully automatic, guarantee 20 years of production with very low recurring costs in the most remote areas.
Hybrid powering of desalination units
The OSMOSUN® brackish water desalination units, similarly to the OSMOSUN® seawater desalination units, can also be connected to alternative sources of electricity for 24 hours production and not only during 8 to 10 hours of sunshine.
Though involving an electricity bill for night water production, the OSMOSUN® hybrid operation makes it possible to triple the daily production of the same unit,
The economic forecast will determine the relevance of the hybrid powered feature, defining which mode produced the lowest water costs.
INSTANT DRINKING WATER FOR SANITATION AND HUMANITARIAN RELIEF
Simple yet durable, the OSMOSUN® NOMAD water treatment units are fully equipped for pre-treatment and filtration of sea water, brackish water, or water contaminated with fluorine and/or arsenic to produce drinking water meeting the World Health Organization standards.
Powered by solar energy, the cheapest source of energy in the world
Packaged to be delivered by air, land, and sea
Ready to install
Designed for rapid implementation and use on a prepared site
Adaptable to all water quality for a daily fresh water production of 1 to 160m3 per module
A RANGE OF OSMOSUN® NOMAD MODULES FOR ANY SITUATION
600 L to 1m3 of water per day
– Transportable unit base for multi-location use
– 4 hour set-up time
– Save 4L of gas per day
5 to 30m3 per day
– One 20 or 40 foot all-inclusive stationary unit
– 8 hour set-up time
– Save up to 130L of gas per day
40 to 160 m3 per day
– Two 20 or 40 foot all-inclusive stationnary unit
– 12 hour set-up time
– Save up to 500L of gas per day
CUSTOMIZED OSMOSUN® NOMAD FEATURES
Ensure one week’s worth of drinkable water
Constant remote performance evaluation and maintenance reports
DRINKABLE WATER STORAGE
Adress water consumption needs during peak hours
Water production capacity up to 1000m3/day
CONVERSION INTO OSMOSUN® TECHNOLOGY
Mascara Renewable Water’s expertise enables the conversion of conventional desalination units into OSMOSUN® solar powered desalination units, producing 30 to 40% of its daily production using just solar energy. Mascara’s engineers are the first ones in the world offering this process optimization to dramatically reduce the cost of water.
The competitiveness of OSMOSUN® conversion of conventional desalination units is directly related to energy costs: the higher the energy cost, the better the competitiveness.
The competitiveness of the OSMOSUN® conversion is dependent on three main reasons:
- Most of the existing desalination installation will remain: seawater supply, buildings, prefiltration, membranes, pipes, post-treatment, brine rejection (…). The preliminary study by Mascara Renewable Water’s engineers will determine the necessary tweaks to the existing desalination unit.
- One third of the water production will be powered by affordable solar energy: solar energy is now the cheapest in the world, and is specifically relevant for isolated grids which previously relied on expensive fossil fuel energy sources.
- The specific energy consumption will decrease: the process optimization by Mascara Renewable Water will significantly decrease the energy consumption per m3 produced. OSMOSUN®’s specific energy consumption is among the lowest in the world, with 2,5kWh/m3 with water at 35g/l. The conversion in OSMOSUN® is likely to reduce the energy consumption, especially in the absence of any energy recovery device; the preliminary study will determine the extent of the reduction.
SAVINGS ENABLED BY AN OSMOSUN® CONVERSION
Case of a desalination unit of 300 m3/day consuming 4kwh/m3 with a local kwh: USD0.30
- One third of the daily production (100 m3) is produced with solar energy,
- Daily solar energy production of 400kwh or USD120 and more than USD40,000 OFF THE ANNUAL ENERGY BILL
Every OSMOSUN® conversion relies on a preliminary study of the current installation’s condition.
MULTIPLE OPTIONS TO IMPLEMENT THE SOLAR PANELS
The specific consumption among the lowest in the world of the OSMOSUN® units, with 2,5kWh/m3 produced with seawater at 35g/l, implies a solar generator of limited surface.
The daily water production capacity depends on the solar generator power: about 0.75kWp, or 5 to 7 m² of photovoltaic panels per m3 produced daily.
The surface requested for the generator of a desalination unit installation may vary according to the selected type of solar generator. Mascara offers the following options :
Floating solar panels
The solar panels we supply have a 25 year warranty, and are specifically designed to hold up against tough seaside marine environments.
The solar generator can be sourced and installed locally. Mascara handles the solar energy management, which enables a flexible functioning of the reverse osmosis desalination unit.
DESIGN YOUR SOLAR DESALINATION PROJECT
OSMOSUN® solar desalination units can fit many water stressed settings with sufficient solar exposure.
We have developed several tools to assist you throughout the steps of implementation of your renewable desalination project, from the dimensioning, to the economic and technical feasibility study, to :
Specifically defining your water needs to address them with the appropriate OSMOSUN® unit and taking into account the local characteristics (solar exposure…)
Demonstrating the price competitiveness vs. a conventional unit powered by a diesel generator using the software, OSMODEL, developed to study the technical and financial feasibility of your desalination projects
OSMOSUN® PRICE COMPETITIVENESS VS. CONVENTIONAL DESALINATION UNIT
OSMOSUN® is competitive in price when compared to conventional desalination units that use energy recovery devices whenever the price of electricity is above .13€/kWh, which is equivalent to 0.30 € per liter of gas.
In the case of conventional desalination units that are not equipped with energy recovery devices, OSMOSUN® is also more cost effective, from as low as 0.05 € per kWh.
With a cost of kWh of 0.25 € the return on investment period, compared to conventional units, is about 4 years.
*The suggested price of water includes the depreciation of the initial investment, with a discount rate of 7%.